Residents shock at 'radioactive homes' fear

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

People living near a former RAF base yesterday spoke of their shock at being told their homes could be radioactive.

Radium and asbestos have been found at the site, where military waste was burned and buried. The council is now testing 90 nearby homes.

Dad-of-two Roy Palmer, 39, said: "My children play in the garden. Contaminated soil could mean health risks. It's outrageous." Resident Ivor James said: "It would be a blow. I've been eating veg from the garden all summer." Gloucester council said it knew of the problem at Quedgeley but was waiting for Government cash to clean it up.

Posted in |